EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update
November 1st, 2016 – Recently, it was reported from several sources, that the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW PWM and memory temperature is running warmer than expected during Furmark (an extreme stress utility).
EVGA has investigated these reports and after extensive testing, below are our findings:
- On ACX 3.0, EVGA focused on GPU temperature and the lowest acoustic levels possible. Running Furmark, the GPU is around 70C +/- and the fan speed is running approximately 30% duty cycle or lower.
- However, during recent testing, the thermal temperature of the PWM and memory, in extreme circumstances, was marginally within spec and needed to be addressed.
Conclusion: EVGA offers full warranty support on its products, with cross-ship RMA*, and stands behind its products and commitment to our customers.
To resolve this, EVGA will be offering a VBIOS update, which adjusts the fan-speed curve to ensure sufficient cooling of all components across all operating temperatures. This VBIOS will be released in the next few days and users can download it and update their cards directly. This update resolves the potential thermal issues that have been reported, and ensures the card maintains safe operating temperatures.
For those users who want additional cooling beyond the VBIOS update, EVGA has optional thermal pads available. This update is not required, however; EVGA will make it available free of charge to any customer who is interested. To request the thermal pad kit, please visit www.evga.com/thermalmod
Any customer who is not comfortable performing the recommended VBIOS update, may request a warranty cross-shipment* to exchange the product to EVGA for an updated replacement.
All graphics cards shipped from EVGA after 11/1/2016 will have the VBIOS update applied.
*The EVGA EAR(Advanced RMA Program) and Cross Shipping options are available in the Continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, EU, UK, Norway, and Switzerland. EVGA offers Standard RMA replacement options in the Middle East, Africa, India or outside of the before mentioned supported areas.
- Which cards are supported by these updates?
- EVGA ACX 3.0 GeForce GTX 1080, 1070 or 1060 cards with the following part numbers:
GTX 1080 Part Numbers GTX 1070 Part Numbers GTX 1060 6G Part Numbers GTX 1060 3G Part Numbers · 08G-P4-6181 · 08G-P4-5171 · 06G-P4-6262 · 03G-P4-6365 · 08G-P4-6183 · 08G-P4-5173 · 06G-P4-6366 · 03G-P4-6367 · 08G-P4-6284 · 08G-P4-6171 · 06G-P4-6265 · 08G-P4-6286 · 08G-P4-6173 · 06G-P4-6264 · 08G-P4-6384 · 08G-P4-6274 · 06G-P4-6267 · 08G-P4-6386 · 08G-P4-6276 · 06G-P4-6368
*Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER cards do not need these updates.
- If my Graphics Card is not an ACX 3.0 design is it affected?
- No, all other GPUs sold by EVGA including Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER editions are unaffected.
- Does the VBIOS fix the temperature issues?
- Yes, the VBIOS update will fix the temperature issues.
- Is my card damaged from running at a higher temperature?
- No, but should any future warranty service be needed, EVGA stands behind its products.
- What happens if my card is accidentally damaged during the optional thermal pad installation?
- EVGA will stand behind its customers with full warranty and cross-shipment.*
- What if I am not comfortable updating my VBIOS?
- While EVGA has very user friendly ways to update VBIOS’s, if you still do not feel comfortable, we will support you with and advanced RMA and ship you a replacement card with the latest VBIOS.
EVGA is the #1 NVIDIA authorized partner in channel sales throughout North America and Latin America and a leading Power Supply Manufacturer. Based on the philosophy of intelligent innovation, market knowledge, and the real time operation, EVGA continues to identify the need in the market place and providing the solution to that need. By offering product differentiation, 24/7 tech support, a 90 day Step-Up program, and other customer focused programs, EVGA is a clear leader in all categories: etail, retail, distribution, and system integration. With headquarters in Brea, CA, EVGA’s global coverage includes EVGA GmbH in Munich, EVGA LATAM in Miami, and EVGA Hong Kong. For further information online about EVGA, visit: www.evga.com